Gingerbread Millionaire Shortbread Bar Recipe
Idea gallery #1767
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 pound Peters Caramel, melted
- 12 oz Peters Burgandy Real Chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, brown sugar and molasses together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. Add in the eggs, spices, fresh ginger, and salt, mixing an addition minute. Fold in flour, mixing only until combined.
4. Transfer dough to prepare baking pan, patting down evenly. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the gingerbread comes out clean. Allow to cool.
5. In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt the caramel, stirring continually.
6. Pour mixture over ginger shortbread. Use an oiled spatula spread out evenly. Place in refrigerator to harden completely, about 2 hours.
7. Once the bars have cooled, make your chocoalte layer. Finely chop the chocolate and add 3/4 of the chocolate to a microwave safe container. Microwave on chocolate melting setting, (or 30 second intervals) stirring often. Once completely melted, fold in remainder 1/4 of chocolate and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
8. After 5 minutes, stir the mixture, make sure all the chocolate has melted completely. Pour over chilled bars, then place back in refrigerator to harden.
9. Cut into 1 x 1 squares and serve. Will last up to 1 week when sealed tightly in a container in refrigerator.