1. Roll a piece of candy clay into a small marble-size ball.
2. Between two layers of plastic, press the top half of the ball into a thin flat petal, leaving the bottom thick.
3. Roll the thin part of the petal into a small coil opening. This is a rose bud or the center of the rose. Carefully push the end of the petal back slightly to appear as if the bud is starting to open.
4. Make another petal as in steps 1 and 2. Center it over the seam of the bud, making it the same height as the bud. Carefully curl the thin petal’s edge downward to appear as an opening rose.
5. Continue making petals and adding them to make as large a rose as you would like. Carefully pinch excess candy clay from the base of the rose.
Recipe and image taken with permission fromAutumn Carpenter's Book, All About Candy Making. All rights reserved.